Top 5 Driving Tips for Every Trucker
Trucking is a lucrative business, but it’s also very demanding—there are tight deadlines, long hours, and lots of planning and coordination that go into being a good trucker. Here at DRS Truck Sale, we not only help you buy a quality truck for your business, but we can also give you some tips for starting your trucker carriage, which is why we’ve put together this list of 5 top tips from experienced truck drivers that can help any trucker whether they’re a seasoned pro or still learning the ropes.
1.Never neglect safety
When you are hauling more than 10,000 pounds in your trailer, safety becomes not just a priority, but a necessity.
- Drive defensively: Be aware of everything that is happening or could happen — both ahead of you and behind you. This allows you to act defensively and prevent accidents or sticky situations before they occur.
- Wear your seatbelt: It’s not only the law but a matter of utmost safety.
- Check the weather: Any kind of weather conditions can affect how you drive, whether that means bright sunshine affecting visibility or rain causing slick roads.
- Get a good sleep: If you are overly tired, your reaction times will be drastically affected. Always make sure that you are alert and aware when you are behind the wheel.
- Pay attention to speed limits: All regulations are designed to keep you and others on the road safe. Remaining compliant is a good way to also ensure that you keep safe.
- Avoid using your cell phone: You should avoid talking and texting in order to prevent some serious problems on the road. You can find some interesting podcasts or radio stations and listen to them while driving, but you should still make sure you are focusing on the road.
2.Watch your health
A big part of being a better driver is being healthy. Good health can also help you to have a much longer career. Watching your diet and making an effort to exercise should be a priority for any truck driver. It’s also incredibly important not to neglect mental health. Stress and loneliness are both problems that can arise: talk to families, and find trucker friends, it’s important to have people to share your thoughts with, but don’t forget to listen to others.
3.Always double check your vehicle
It can sometimes be easy to skip over the importance of looking after your vehicle as a driver, since certain checks can become routine and maintenance might be viewed as someone else’s problem. However, the best truck drivers are ones who take care of their vehicles, and they often reap the benefits. Pre-trip inspections are not only required by law, but are an important way to prevent accidents and other issues. Another time when it is good to give your vehicle a check is after you park it; just take a look back and make sure everything is right — no lights on, tire issues, or anything else.
4.Get a good trucking GPS unit
If you’ve been trucking without a trucking GPS unit, then you need to seriously consider investing in one. It’s like a marathon runner not investing in good running shoes. A trucking GPS unit is an essential tool for any driver and without it, you’ll be less competitive than other drivers with one — it’s as simple as that. Many experienced truckers feel they don’t need a trucking GPS unit as they prefer to do it the old-fashioned way. But, as this technology has now become a standard part of trucking in the US, we’d highly recommend getting yourself one!
5.Don’t be afraid to ask for advice
Trucking can be a difficult business to progress in without the right knowledge and skills. Sometimes, truckers fall into bad habits or don’t realize there are better ways of doing certain things. It’s a great idea to chat with other truckers at truck stops about how they conduct their business. You may just find some simple tips and tricks that make your job much easier. As we all know, truckers are usually very open and down-to-earth people, and once you get them talking about trucking, the trick is usually getting them to stop!
Trucking has a lot to offer. Whether you are an owner-operator trucker or a company trucker, these tips will help you in your journey through your career. And our team of experts can help you find the perfect truck to fit your needs and budget. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to upgrade your fleet and maximize your earning potential.
Check out our inventory now and take the first step towards a more profitable and successful business.
Leave a Reply